Weekly Puzzler #140: Ridged-Rectangle

Happy December!!

As I mentioned in the last puzzler, this is your LAST CHANCE to be entered in the quarterly drawing. If you want to qualify, use the comment box below to add your guess.

What is this in the photo below?

pu-5561If you can identify it, your name will be entered in the drawing and you could win my holiday DVD (If you happen to already own this, I will choose something else!)

You can see the size of this… it is yellow and black and feels a bit like plastic, though it is not plastic. It is natural and from something that can be found in the eastern United States. This is only a PART of the whole–like a porcupine quill is part of a porcupine.

Hint: What if I said that that 26 states have designated a state __?___ and that two of them have chosen the animal this represents?

nuts33-5561

Have a wonderful day. I will see you again soon.

This entry was posted in Weekly Puzzler and tagged , , .

10 Comments

1. Arden December 3, 2016 at 3:13 pm #

I am guessing it is part of turtle’s shell.

• Sharon Mammoser December 3, 2016 at 9:47 pm #

Ahhhh, and then I might ask, what kind of turtle?

2. Colleen Gilgenbach December 3, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

I don’t know what it is but I think I want one! It looks like it would be a great pendant.
    Bark of some sort? A shell?

• Sharon Mammoser December 3, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

Colleen, you are right, it would make a great pendant! Another stellar idea! Not bark. Not a shell….

3. Renee Dankert December 3, 2016 at 8:05 pm #

It’s part of the shell of a box turtle?

• Sharon Mammoser December 3, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

Renee! You are so smart! Woo hoo, and the crowd goes wild!

4. Beth December 4, 2016 at 3:15 pm #

That’s an easy one! Box turtle scute….or could it be a colorful wood turtle, hmmm

• Sharon Mammoser December 4, 2016 at 7:26 pm #

Beth! It is so nice to see you here!! I hope you are well and enjoying life in your neck of the woods. Of course you are right about the puzzler! And this shot was taken way back when I worked at Trailside I think! That seems like soooooo long ago. Those were good days–so many fond memories of my time there. Hugs and kisses to you and Ralph! Happy Holidays!

5. Joe December 4, 2016 at 9:38 pm #

Red slider turtle shell

• Sharon Mammoser December 5, 2016 at 10:37 am #

This is a great guess! And you are close, but not exactly correct. Thanks for reading!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Weekly Puzzler Answer #140 on December 11, 2016 at 9:31 am

[…] did you know that the ridged-rectangle in last week’s puzzler was from a scute from an Eastern Box Turtle? Have you ever looked closely at the shell of a box […]

2. By Weekly Puzzler #141: Can You Identify this Turtle? on December 11, 2016 at 9:31 am

[…] So here’s another photo of a turtle scute for you. You can see that this one not as colorful or as regularly shaped as the one from last week’s puzzler. […]