Weekly Puzzler #131: Red-crested Bird

Hello and happy October! I hope you are having a great weekend so far. Just a couple of notes–first off, it was a busy week for me and I never got to publishing the post about the sandhill cranes. Stay tuned: I will get to it this coming week, along with a new quote that I worked on but did not finish. Also, if you’re interested in seeing some of my photos from my recent trip to Alaska, those will be coming too! Seems I have been having such a hard time staying away from the field in the morning and then am plagued with getting nothing done in the afternoon. Don’t give up! I will catch up this week!

Okay, so yes, last week’s puzzler was pretty impossible and I promised this one would be easier. So here it is–a photo of a bird that’s been hanging around our bird feeder. Check it out and tell me what bird this is. Have you seen it before in your yard?

_dsc2129

As always, don’t forget to use the comment box below to add your guess. All correct responses will be entered in the next drawing for a free prize, given away on the first day of winter. Good luck!

Have a wonderful weekend!

This entry was posted in Animals, Birds, Weekly Puzzler and tagged , , .

8 Comments

1. Renee Dankert October 1, 2016 at 11:07 am #

It can’t be as easy as a female Cardinal, can it?

2. Arden October 1, 2016 at 11:42 am #

I say it is a molting Cardinal.

• Sharon Mammoser October 1, 2016 at 8:57 pm #

Arden, thanks for guessing! It is a young cardinal; hasn’t quite gotten all of his lovely feathers just yet.

3. Hon October 1, 2016 at 8:08 pm #

Clearly Pyrroluxia who has gotten lost or who heard what a great place Asheville is to live

• Sharon Mammoser October 1, 2016 at 8:53 pm #

Only you would even know what a Pyrroluxia even is!!

4. Colleen Gilgenbach October 1, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

a young male cardinal

• Sharon Mammoser October 1, 2016 at 8:52 pm #

Colleen! Right on, you are correct! How did you know?

One Trackback

1. By Weekly Puzzler #132: Perfect Camouflage on October 8, 2016 at 9:31 am

[…] Check out the photos below. The first one is from farther away and the second one is a closer look. If you are looking at it on a smart phone, I’m not sure you’ll see anything! Try a larger screen. Do you see any animals? If so, what kind and how many? (Hint: This is the same kind of animal as last week’s puzzler–#131) […]